"Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be. - Pink Floyd, "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eine Kleine Nacht Musik

Guanajuato Moonrise

I remember when I moved to Raleigh after living for many years in the deep country of North Carolina. I was startled and shaken by the night sounds of the city.

There were several railroad freight trains that came through the middle of the city each night. There was car traffic, university students, cats howling, and all manner of assorted mechanical screeches. It took many months to acclimate.

Mexico has brought a new menu of sound to my nights. In Guanajuato it's mostly dogs and music. 

On the last full moon I was awakened at 2:00AM by a mariachi group serenading some unseen woman in the night. At the moment the music began, even though I had been sleeping soundly, I became aware of this sound's special beauty. From across Rio Duran somewhere in Cerro del Cuarto a strong baritone voice sent 'amors' and 'corazones' out into the night air and across the canyon to my window. Violins, accordions, guitars and guitarras merged their sound and I fell back into sweet dreams.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment